Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Today we celebrated a very nice mother's day weekend. I spent one day with Dan's family for Karen Saturday night and today Dan came over and spent time with my family. There was BBQ with shrimp, spicy chicken sausage, lamb chops, pasta salad (made out of orzo, feta, and cherry tomatoes), and Parveen baked a banana cream pie.

I gave mom some Crabtree and Evelyn hand therapy lotion because her skin can get so dry (in general it's always been dry but the chemo they said would make it worse).
For aunt I got her a beauty gift certificate and Parveen got her a mani pedi. On Saturday I went out with Parveen to get mom's haircut (which was Parveen's present to my mom). It was great.

The hairdresser was very emotional seeing mom and doing her hair again. We've gone to Debbie FOREVER because Uncle's mom Alice used to go get her hair cut by Debbie.

She's not loosing hair rapidly because of the chemo; she's always had fine hair. But it is thinning out a bit but that's OK she has so many pretty scarves she can wear if it comes to that. I'm not sure about this because Gemzar doesn't actively cause hair loss the way other chemotherapy does.

It was very nice to have dinner with everyone and have a day when the mothers didn't have to work hard or feed us. We thought about doing burgers but Jeff said to Parveen "your mom always cooks, we'll make different things" (aunt has a burger recipe that we love and she always makes the burgers and Jeff grills them).

I had a hard time getting them to relax and sit down and do nothing. I have to say I failed but that's OK they just don't know how to sit still and relax for an entire day. It's just not how they're wired.

Anyway I hope everyone had a good mothers day, that is if they celebrate it. I'm definitely very lucky to have my mom and aunt. I may not be a perfect little girl all the time but I do tell them this all the time.

1 comment:

  1. NOM NOM. food. the question is...did you relax and sit down and do nothing? are you taking time for yourself and all that? you work to hard and deserve so much. I hope you're not stressed.

    ck. oh yeah that one b4 was also me but i'm at work when i do this so i have to be like super sleuth you know? and i had to minimize that shiz before i got caught. LOL.

    CK.

    p.s. i'm trrrrying to send something to you, i don't know when, but if you get it, just let me know here, because i'm kind of an ocean away. lol.

    ReplyDelete