Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Routine check--in w/ DFCI

We went to Dana Farber Cancer Institute today instead of the Faulkner. It is much closer.

Today we found that mom weighs 99 pounds. They drew two vials of blood for tests before chemo.

Mt. Auburn said her thyroid was off but Dr.A thinks it's the least of her problems. He wants to tackle the cancer first.

They have increased her pain patch (fentanyl).

She is eating solids but what is happening is the cancer is using up a lot of her nutrients So she needs to eat way more than she is. The problem is of course her appetite.

He prescribed a drug for her appetite. We will try that tonight. Today I want to thank Zaman uncle for driving us to the appointment and back. He was a tremendous help.

So the plan is every friday we go in for an infusion of Gemzar (gemcitibine) and the last week of Feb. going into March she is off the chemo. Then they will do another three weeks on and one week off (that whole thing is a cycle...3 weeks on one week off). After two cycles they may do a CT scan or he said they will assess her condition but how she's eating, her pain, other symptoms.

The doctor reached over and held her hand several times. He was a little surprised to see her in a wheelchair but Zaman uncle thought it would be best that she don't walk around all over the hospital. He was right.

He's a great doctor. I really like him.

One of the weeks we will be seeing the NP instead of the MD but that will obviously be OK. One of the Fridays we have a date with a nutritionist. I definitely want to be there for that one.

Ok, I will write more when I have something more. Inshallah it'll just be good news :-)

The family feels all sorts of things about chemotherapy Friday. I just hope it helps.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you have good feelings regarding the doctor- it's important that you and your mother have a connection and a mutual respect when it comes to these things because positive and loving relationships with the patient are always benificial- especially in times of cancer. The more she eats the better but i know she doesn't want to- my dathi is EXACTLY like that. I always end up making dumb jokes and then saying that I wouldn't eat if she doesn't, and then she eventually does. Its funny what loved ones edure for you. I know your mother loves you, and I know that both of you have the strength to get through this together. Life throws crazy things at us- but keep writing. I'll always be reading.

    -CK

    ReplyDelete